Looking for a more authentic way to delve into local culture to celebrate the return of the souls? Book now for one or all of our Day of the Dead tours.
- Dates: Wednesdays & Sundays
- Duration: 8 hours (9 a.m. – 5 p.m.)
- Capacity: 2 minimum/10 maximum
- Where: Ocotlan Valley
- Departing and ending point: Hotel pick-up and drop-off
About the Folk Arts Tour
Learn about the great folk art masters of the Ocotlan Valley on this visually stunning tour. Pottery, weaving, embroidery, woodcarving, and artistic heritage are the focus of the day.
Our journey takes us into the Ocotlan valley to visit the workshops of artisans who are at once traditional and innovative. We see fine back-strap weavers and black clay sculpture work, meet a golden-hearted potter who is blind and smiles through every pore in his body, and visit a highly recognized wood carver.
All of the artisans we visit are recognized as great masters in the amazing Great Masters of Mexican Folk Art books by the Banamex Foundation, and each of them is filled with an inspiration that shines in their work.
- What's Included
- Eight-hour tour (9 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
- Private transportation
- Bilingual guide
- Entrance fees
- Artisans fees
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Small group (no more than 10 people)
- Additional Information
- Small groups: Our day groups are always small, with no more than 10 people per tour, so as not to overwhelm our hosts and so our visits can be personal and meaningful.
- Cancellations: You have up to four days before your tour time to email and cancel your tour with no penalty incurred. A U.S. $35 fee per person is charged if you cancel less than four days prior to your scheduled tour time. Cancellations less than 24 hours prior to tour date are non-refundable.
- Traditions Mexico takes you beyond the standard sites visited by tourists and travelers and into the wonderful and authentic wilds of back-cactus Mexico. You get to see things that other visitors seldom or never see. We hope you bring a willingness to get off the beaten track and a curiosity to see the real world in its true and wondrous colors.
- Our trips are lead by unique individuals who are more cultural ambassadors than guides. They are specialists and aficionados, authors and long-term students of the cultures of Oaxaca, experienced, involved, and totally in love with what they do!
- We require a minimum of two travelers to run a trip.