Delve deep into the popular foods of Oaxaca. Visit a traditional village market. Taste mole, chocolate, and mezcal!
- Dates: Mondays & Fridays
- Duration: 8 hours (9 a.m. – 5 p.m.)
- Capacity: 2 minimum/10 maximum
- Where: Oaxaca
- Departing and ending point: Hotel pick-up and drop-off
About the Tortilla Tour
The tortilla was invented in Oaxaca 2,700 years ago according to archaeologists, so what better place to learn about this true Mexican food of the soul? This simple disk of corn is much more complex and important than most of us imagine. This journey shows you why, and we have a grand time on the way.
Our route is way off the beaten path and takes you right into the heart of Oaxaca, visiting a traditional Zapotec corn farmer, a family of potters who make comales, without which a tortilla cannot be cooked, and of course, expert tortilla makers.
Our first stop is at the quiet ruins of Yagul, not far from the caves where the oldest corn cobs on Earth were discovered. Learn about the hidden ingredient in tortillas that is so important that without it the great civilizations of Mexico never would have existed (no, it’s not fluoride!) and give tortilla making a try yourself. The best part – we get to eat the results as part of a home-cooked village meal.
This journey is about the food that feeds the Mexican soul and upon which ancient nations were built, and it is a trip that takes you from one small village to the next, meeting farmers, artisans, and cooks and truly giving you a taste of what Oaxaca is about.
- Eight-hour tour (9 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
- Private transportation
- Bilingual guide
- Entrance fees
- Artisans fees
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Small group (no more than 10 people)
- Small groups: We keep our day groups to no more than 10 people per tour so as not to overwhelm our hosts and so our visits can be personal and meaningful.
- Cancellations: You have up to four days prior to your tour time to email us and cancel your tour with no penalty incurred. A U.S. $35 fee per person is charged if you cancel less than four days prior to your scheduled tour time. Cancellations less than 24 hours prior to tour date are non-refundable.
- Traditions Mexico takes you beyond the standard sites visited by tourists and travelers and into the wonderful and authentic wilds of back-cactus Mexico. As a result, you see things on our tours that other visitors seldom or never see. Bring with you a willingness to get off the beaten track and a curiosity to see the real world in its true and wondrous colors.
- Our trips are lead by unique individuals who are more cultural ambassadors than guides. They are specialists and aficionados, authors and long-term students of the cultures of Oaxaca, experienced, involved, and totally in love with what they do!
- Minimum numbers apply. We require a minimum of two travelers to run a trip.