Visit Yagul, meet a maize farmer, visit a corn mill, meet potters, and learn about tortilla making.
- Dates: Tuesdays & Thursdays
- Duration: 8 hours (9 a.m. – 5 p.m.)
- Capacity: 2 minimum/10 maximum
- Where: Oaxaca Valley
- Departing and ending point: Hotel pick-up and drop-off
About Our Timeless Cuisine Tour
Visit a traditional village market and taste mole, chocolate, and mezcal!
Though there is good food in the fine restaurants of Oaxaca city, our favorite food comes from the humble eateries and village kitchens of rural Oaxaca. Oaxacan chocolate, mezcal, and mole are grand examples of the timeless foods of Oaxaca Valley. And they are the focus of our trip today.
Hopping from village to Zapotec village on back roads in the Tlacolula valley, go far beyond the tourist routes and into the real thing, visiting artisanal food workshops and mama’s kitchens flavored with the smoky seasoning of a cooking fire. On the trail of essential Oaxacan treats, we wind our way into the villages and homes that give flavor to this delicious land.
- Eight-hour tour (9 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
- Private transportation
- Bilingual guide
- Entrance fees
- Artisans fees
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Small group (no more than 10 people)
- Small groups: Our day groups are always small, no more than 10 people per tour, so as not to overwhelm our hosts and so our visits can be personal and meaningful.
- Cancellations: You have up to four days prior to your scheduled tour time to email and cancel your tour with no penalty incurred. A U.S. $35 fee per person is charged if you cancel less than four days prior to your scheduled tour time. Cancellations less than 24 hours prior to tour date are non-refundable.
- Traditions Mexico takes you beyond the standard sites visited by tourists and travelers and into the wonderful and authentic wilds of back-cactus Mexico. As a result, you see things that other visitors seldom or never see. You should bring with you a willingness to get off the beaten path and a curiosity to see the real world in its true and wondrous colors.
- Our trips are lead by unique individuals who are more cultural ambassadors than guides. They are specialists and aficionados, authors and long-term students of the cultures of Oaxaca, experienced, involved, and totally in love with what they do!
- We require a minimum of two travelers to run a trip.