Traditional culture, hand-made textiles, and good ideas that make people’s lives better!
- Dates: Every Saturday
- Duration: 8 hours (9 a.m. – 5 p.m.)
- Capacity: 2 minimum/10 maximum
- Where: Oaxaca
- Departing and ending point: Hotel pick-up and drop-off
About Our Textiles Tour
Journey into Zapotec households and their threaded heritage. If people, craft, and living culture appeal to you, this is a day well spent.
Spend a day meeting people who keep essential and rare textile traditions of Oaxaca alive. From the floral embroidered aprons made in a village workshop that are an indispensable part of everyday dress for rural women to the trades of needle lace and silk cultivation once common in Oaxaca Valley and now nearly lost, we learn about these arts of thread, hand, and history.
In the town of Mitla, visit an old timer who weaves naturally dyed wool on backstrap and pedal looms, making shawls and serapes. From village to village, our journey takes us and into home workshops filled with family, stories and skilled craftspeople. Learn about looms, lace, aprons, silk, wool, natural dyes, pride, heritage, humility, community, family, and what off-the-beaten-path Oaxaca is all about. If people, craft, and living culture appeal to you, this is a day well spent.
- Eight-hour tour (9 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
- Private transportation
- Bilingual guide
- Entrance fees
- Artisans fees
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Small group (no more than 10 people)
- Small groups: We keep our day groups small, no more than 10 people per tour, so as not to overwhelm our hosts and so our visits can be personal and meaningful.
- Cancellations: You have up to four days prior to your tour time to email and cancel your tour with no penalty. A U.S. $35 fee per person is charged if you cancel less than four days prior to your scheduled tour time. Cancellations less than 24 hours prior to tour date are non-refundable.
- Traditions Mexico takes you beyond the standard sites visited by tourists and travelers and into the wonderful and authentic wilds of back-cactus Mexico. You get to see things on our tours that other visitors seldom or never see. We hope you bring with you a willingness to get off the beaten track and a curiosity to see the real world in its true and wondrous colors.
- Our trips are lead by unique individuals who are more cultural ambassadors than guides. They are specialists and aficionados, authors and long-term students of the cultures of Oaxaca, experienced, involved, and totally in love with what they do!
- Minimum numbers apply. We require a minimum of two travelers to run a trip.