- Dates: Every Friday
- Duration: 5 hours (9 a.m. – 2 p.m.)
- Capacity: 2 minimum/10 maximum
- Where: Oaxaca
- Departing and ending point: Hotel pick-up and drop-off
About the Clay Tour
For almost four thousand years, the potters of Oaxaca have supplied this land with its necessary kitchenware. The potter skills have been passed on, mother to daughter, generation after generation. It all worked quite well until the plastic bucket, tin can, and aluminum pot lurched onto the scene a few decades ago and pottery began to be pushed aside. An ancient trade and way of life is coming apart.
Meet the change makers of Innovando la Tradición, people who are looking for creative solutions to this challenge, building bridges between ancient and modern traditions.
We begin the day learning about their entrepreneurial work at their Oaxaca City office, then head to a nearby pottery village to spend a relaxed and playful morning at the home workshop of one of the collective’s potters, learning about her trade, the changes in her life brought through being a partner with Innovando la Tradición, and getting our hands in the clay so that we can truly feel the story of Oaxacan clay.
A Change & Maker Experience
We highlight traditional makers (artisans, rural chefs, farmers) collaborating with innovative changemakers (social entrepreneurs, cooperatives, etc.) doing good work that makes a difference in the lives of traditional people. A percentage of your tour price supports the artisans and changemaker organizations we partner with. And your presence and interest are priceless nods of approval to people working against the odds to make a difference.
- Five-hour tour (9 a.m. to 2 p.m.)
- Private transportation
- Bilingual guide
- Lunch at the home of the collective’s potter
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Small group (no more than 10 people)
- Hands on
- Small groups: Our day groups have no more than 10 people per tour so as not to overwhelm our hosts and so our visits can be personal and meaningful.
- Cancellations: You have up to four days prior to your tour time to email and cancel your tour with no penalty incurred. A U.S. $35 fee per person is charged if you cancel less than four days prior to your scheduled tour time. Cancellations less than 24 hours prior to tour date are non-refundable.
- Traditions Mexico takes you beyond the standard sites visited by tourists and travelers and into the wonderful and authentic wilds of back-cactus Mexico. As a result, you see things that other visitors seldom or never see. Bring with you a willingness to get off the beaten path and a curiosity to see the real world in its true and wondrous colors.
- Our trips are lead by unique individuals who are more cultural ambassadors than guides. They are specialists and aficionados, authors and long-term students of the cultures of Oaxaca, experienced, involved, and totally in love with what they do!
- Minimum numbers apply. We require a minimum of two travelers to run a trip.