February 17 - 24, 2018
* Book early and
save $160 usd
Revered since ancient times, used for food, fiber, rope, clothing and the holy mother of pulque and mezcal, this sword-branched plant and the culture that surround it are the focus of this quest. We will ramble through the arid valleys of central Oaxaca and into the cool pines of the Sierra Madre meeting the people of agave. Our travels will take us to artisanal, wood-fired mezcal stills where we’ll witness and learn about the process of distillation, from the splitting of agave, aka maguey, to the pit baking, fermentation and distillation. And we’ll visit indigenous pulque fermenters and learn how certain species of agaves are “milked” to make this nutritious plant beer. We’ll meet a man who makes rope from agave fiber, a baker who uses pulque as a yeast and hear stories about this plants role in Mexican culture.
And more! There will be excellent, home-cooked meals in small villages as well a light sprinkle of urban panache on our cuisine menu. We’ll stay in small villages, travel where few tourists go, peek into ruined palaces of ancient kings, meet old time tradespeople who cure leather, make sandals and weave serapes. This is a trip for people curious about food, drink and culture, for people interested in traveling off the beaten path and into an authentic world of fascinating old ways. Agave is our focus, but we’ll discover an entire world.
B=Breakfast, L=Lunch, D=Dinner included in tour price.
More details coming soon!
Date: February 17 - 24, 2018
Duration: 8 days / 7 nights
Departing and Ending point: Oaxaca City
Cost: $2,150 usd per person
Early Bird Discount $1,990 usd
Register and pay your deposit before Sep 20th, 2017
Single Supplement $285 usd
* All Lodging during trip based on double occupancy
* Most Meals (listed on itinerary Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner)
* Superb Guide
* Transport in private van
* Entry fees
* Airfare and transportation to and from the trip pick-up/drop-off locations
* Lodging before and after the trip
* Personal items purchased during the trip
* Alcoholic beverages
* Some meals are not included. On these trips, Traditions Mexico invites you to explore the local cuisine at your leisure.
* Gratuities for your Traditional Mexico Guides may be given at your discretion in response to their professionalism and leadership.
* Industry standard is for each individual guest to tip the guide team 5-10% of the trip price.
* Room Service
* Travel Visa Fees
Registrations will be considered confirmed upon receipt of deposit of $450.